Monday, January 13, 2014

Home Grown Luffa

Everybody has seen a luffa at least once in their lives. Luffas are those rough, sponge-looking things that people put in the shower and never use. I'll have to admit, I was a little ignorant about what they were. I never gave them much thought and always just assumed they were some sort of natural sponge from the ocean. As it turns out, I was wrong.

I'm not sure how I came across the website, but last spring I found luffa.info and learned about growing luffas. On that website, they sell 50 luffa seeds for $6 so I decided to buy a pack.

I had great success starting the seeds in our sunroom. Unfortunately, we hardly ever go into the sunroom so I killed most of them with my neglect (it was a busy time). I did manage to salvage four plants. I put two next to our deck and two in the garden. Both grew very well and produced some nice luffas for us. As they grow, luffas look a little cucumbers when they're small, and grow into something about the size of a large zucchini.

We allowed the luffas to stay on the vines until well after the vines were dead this fall. This gave the skin of the gourd time to dry and made peeling them a little easier. Still, peeling the skin off was not easy.

Once they were peeled, we knocked the seeds loose and collected those for use this spring. Finally, we rinsed the luffa in a bucket of warm water to wash off the left-over luffa juice and let them dry in the sun.

We're going to try to grow some more this coming summer from the seeds we saved from these luffas. In the meantime, we are going to put the ones we grew last year to the test and see  what we can do with them. A brief search of the Internet revealed some great ideas for using the luffa fiber.

Here are some uses for the luffa:

- Use as a shower sponge to exfoliate the skin.
- Use as non-scratching pot scrubbers, particularly for those non-stick pans.
- Use as a bug gut scrubber the when washing a car.
- Mount on a stick and use as a back scratcher.
- Use as a filter medium in ponds and fish tanks.
- Use in arts and crafts projects.
- Use to texture painted walls.


No comments:

Post a Comment