Tuesday, October 22, 2013

EM-1 Fermenting



After three weeks, I had almost forgotten about my adventures in microbiology experiment where I decided to try to ferment some new EM-1. I had mixed the recipe, sealed the bottle and left it in the laundry room sink to do its thing. 

On Saturday afternoon I found it laying on its side in the sink. The bottle was as hard as a rock and the bottom had pushed out and no longer sat flat - a sure sign that life has begun and the various microbes are doing their thing in there.

Here is the recipe I used...

1 part EM-1
1 Part Molasses
22 parts (non-chlorinated) water

Mix the molasses and water and heat to 100°. Stir in EM-1 and seal the entire mixture in an air-tight container (EM-1 is largely anaerobic). If you can keep it warm, the fermentation process will begin quickly. The cooler the mix is, the longer the fermentation will take. I left mine at room temperature and had to wait almost three weeks before seeing signs of life.



No comments:

Post a Comment